Frequently Asked Questions
Wheelys Café was hosted at Y Combinator (the accelerator behind Airbnb, Dropbox, Reddit) and has been funded by, amongst others, Paul Buchheit (creator of Gmail), Jared Friedman (founder of Scribd) and Justin Waldron (co- founder of Zynga).
Wheelys Café HQ is in Stockholm, and the boss is the 27 year old Maria De La Croix, one of the few CEOs of a global food company with blue hair.
“We will break the hegemony of the industrial fast food chains, and pave the way for an organic revolution. Helping us to do this is young hungry eco entrepreneurs from all over the world.”
— Maria De La Croix, CEO of Wheelys
I want to buy a Wheelys
At the moment we are taking pre-orders of our best model yet. You can reserve a Wheelys Café from our upcoming batch by pre ordering at our Indiegogo. Just choose the perk “Pre order Wheelys 4”. But the model is even better than the previous one, it has a manual espresso maker, mechanical refrigeration and have more storage than Wheelys 3.
Be quick, and stay tuned.
If you need any further assistance, just email us on email@example.com
The bikes come with the basic equipment you need to start working.
- Extra storage on the back.
- LED light in the roof.
- A display solution for other products
- A Wheelys espresso brewer
- A mechanical fridge (around 20 l)
- A developed roof solution with a foldout part.
- Solar panel
Our factory is in Shanghai and we deliver worldwide, you should give our delivery 15-35 days. We ship in bulk once every 3 months approximately.
- The use of the Wheelys brand
- Access to updated material and information from headquarters
- Access to the mobile application along with updates and continuous improvements (Coming soon)
- The online community- where you can talk to other Wheelers, seek help and share ideas with each other and headquarters
- The rights to use our branded material
- Access to photos, marketing material and logos as they develop
- The benefits of any marketing that we do for Wheelys as well as support, templates for local campaigns and ideas in this area (Wheelys is actually founded by some of the most well known advertisers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studio_Total
- A @wheelyscafe.com email forward (not an inbox)
- Help with setting up your social media such as; Facebook, Instagram and if you want, a website.
- Access to help on design issues or maintenance of your bike
- Discounted prices on coffee and supplies
- An exclusive Wheelys education including; manuals, procedures and routines, to run a successful Wheelys business, how to sell, coffee training and much more
- Invitations to our workshops in Sweden
- The right to vote for different products and coffee as and when they come up, giving you power in how Wheelys is operated and what products we use.
- Support on whatever matter is needed
- And most important: friends for life :)
Principles and Goals
We want to bring coffee, snacks and smiles to the under-served neighborhoods around the world, with a touch of technology to meet the demands of a connected generation on the move.
We look forward to bring our passion for the #ScienceOfCoffee to the next level by spreading the knowledge online and at our future coffee academies around the world.“Since you can buy more than 200 Wheelys cafés for the same price as starting a ****bucks, you can see what we mean when we say ****bucks are in trouble.”
— Maria De La Croix
It’s all about being, and doing good for people and to the environment. From here comes our support for organic and fairtrade coffee and food products, our flexibility and support when it comes to assisting solo entrepreneurs around the world to start their business via us, and our first term when we close the deals with the Wheelers: You should serve all our friends with the same smile, the rich and the homeless.
A lot of big corporations are panicking these days “Whoa, they want ecological thinking? Well, let’s….eh…run our diesel engines on palm oil! And print our corporate-environment-policy on that brownish paper!” Wheelys is not perfect. But let’s face it. We serve organic, vegan food from cafés that run on the energy from your body and the sun.
Rules and Responsibility
All our Wheelers abide to follow the principles below:
- To serve every individual with the same smile, also the homeless guy.
- To serve only 100% fair trade and organic coffee.
- To strive for the goal of making all food and pastries 100% Organic. At least 60 % of the sold pastries and food on a Wheelys Café need to be organic.
- To participate in global Wheelys campaigns, making efforts to help the community with material for social media channels, to aid us with photos and information about the Wheelys operated by you, and making any material you participate with, free for all Wheelers to use in the marketing of Wheelys.
- To support the Wheelys community – share ideas and knowledge with the other Wheelys owners and aim to help other Wheelers.
- To pay all subcontractors with a salary that is not under the recommended minimum salary for the country in which the café operates.
- To keep the Wheelys bike clean and in a good condition and to make sure that the coffee, food and pastries served are always fresh.
- To follow all local laws in your territory.
Failure to comply with the above principles may result in a warning. If the café still fails to comply with the principles, he/she will lose the right to operate under the Wheelys brand name, as well as all other rights connected to Wheelys.
The bikes come with the basic equipment you need to start working. Then you need a location, and some locations might require a permit depending on the local laws and if you choose to work in a public or private spot. Make sure to check your regulations in your city!
After placing your order – you will get an invitation to our community, and our upcoming courses – which will help you grow into the role of being a Wheeler*
*A Wheeler is what we call those running or owning Wheelys Cafés. This is people from all over the world sharing the same values and goals.
Metro Manila, Philippines
Joseph Bishara: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mahdi Hyari: email@example.com
New Orleans, USA
Mexico City, Mexico
China and Taiwan
New Jersey, USA
Azzara foundation: firstname.lastname@example.org
Remember: Most cities and politicians love the idea of an eco bike café, that adds hipster credibility to the city. If your local politicians belong in the old and dusty category, perhaps with no understanding of new inventions: look into operating your Wheelys on private areas; universities, airports, malls, the space outside a store etc.
At the moment, we can’t fight local regulations. The Wheelers will need to get in touch with their local permitting authorities themselves. If there is anything we can do after that, we will attempt to help out, i.e. if you need a special greywater arrangement due to local health rules – we can advise you. Be sure to push the ecological side of the business, the solar panels, fairtrade coffees, etc. Wheelys also provides jobs and business ownership to young people.
Money and Sales
Our Wheelers tell us it varies a lot depending on time of day, where you stand, day of the month, weather conditions, and so on.A rough estimation is that in Scandinavia you can earn $300 to $700 in one six-hour shift. Of course, most of the selling is done during ‘rush’ hours, and you can earn A LOT more by moving your spot to where the people are at the moment AND by changing your menu based on customer requests. For instance, make sure to bring a lot of coffee to the train station for all the poor, tired commuters that didn’t have time to brew their own coffee as they rushed out the door in the morning. Bring salads and sandwiches and set up near offices and hotels in town during lunchtime. In the evening: swing by a football game and celebrate with the winners, or serve some coffee and a croissant made with love to the game’s losers. They sure will need it.If you have a spot in central London, New York, or Tokyo, you can probably put a zero after our estimates. The record turnover for a Wheelys is $ 1100 in one day.
|coffee, sugar, milk||12 Cents USD|
|cup, lid, and napkin||12 Cents USD|
|=||24 Cents USD|
To give you some more math to think about: the approximate sales for our Wheeler Adam Mikkelson in Lund (a university town in Sweden) is 50 cups per hour, and each sold for about 2.50 USD. (These numbers depend on where you are selling, how you sell, what time you sell, etc.)
|2.50 USD||x 50 cups per hour||= about 125 USD per hour|
|24 cents USD cost||x 50 cups per hour||= about 12 USD cost per hour|
|Total Profit||113 USD per hour|
- Consistency for every week you stand at the same spot, revenue will rise 5%.
- Enjoy yourself, happy people sell more coffee.
- Experiment, move to different locations, try different times or wear a gold hat.
And don’t worry. Give it a few weeks and you will see your profits rising, it’s almost like a natural law. The next thing you know, you are the owner of four Wheelys bikes and employing your kid sisters.
Rules of Thumb
- Aim to be out hustling during rush hours
- Get up early to catch the morning commuters. Who doesn’t want a fresh cuppa joe in the morning?
- Cycle around town during lunch hours
- Catch return commuters in the afternoon on their way home
- Make people happy. It’s scientifically proven that by giving something away (a lollipop, for instance) people are more willing to give you something back in return
- Help brands launch new products on the market. For example, give away samples (and charge the company for doing so)
- Get patrons – befriend your customers. If they like you, they will tell their friends. Always remember to reward those trusty clients of yours.
- Is there a ferry terminal nearby? This is a perfect place to sell coffee to bored drivers.
- Outside a school or a university has proven to be a great spot!
- Bus terminals are usually crowded with people but lack cafés – use this opportunity!
- Get friendly with the local shop owners and workers in the area. Don’t be a stranger on your block.
- Think strategically, and observe your area. Where do the crowds form? Are there public benches? Are the pedestrians in a rush, or enjoying the sunset? Take note of all the little details.
- Think trial-and-error. Every unsuccessful spot moves you closer to your dream location. Remember, EVERYONE wants coffee.
- And if you’re feeling creative
- Find exhibitions/sporting events/concerts/parties to sell at. Keep up to date with your area’s events calendar.
- Sell umbrellas on rainy days.
- Buy multiple Wheelys Cafés, employ your friends, and become a Wheelys kingpin
- Rent your bike and services to corporate or sports events – everyone wants coffee and snacks!
- Do catering gigs at corporate events (where the organizer pays you to hand out coffee and snacks from your bike). These are often well-paid (you can often charge around 1000 USD per gig for such a service)
- Hot day? Sell fruit and cold water or lemonade to quench people’s thirsts.
- Collaborate with street performers! Think of street music as live entertainment at your café, and pay the performers with coffee and goodies.
- Team up with newspapers and become their distributor.
And let’s face it, running a café isn’t a walk in the park. Just like any other job, you need to work hard to make ends meet. Bill Gates didn’t get where he is today by chilling on his couch eating potato chips, but rather by being innovative, creative, and giving it all he had. Likewise, you’ll get whatever you put into running your café. The more you invest into running your café, the more you will profit.
If you are a Wheeler – you can access our Wheelys Sales Manual – how to increase your sales under Information on your My Wheelys page.
Wheelys Rwanda Rupture Coming April 2016
Wheelys Indonesia Idoltry Available Now
Which one you prefer is basically a matter of taste. We do ask that all Wheelers have in stock our house brand, but you may buy other brands as well as our house brand.
Try it yourself.
Products and Supplies
Below is a full list of the bikes and the supplies. Please don’t hesitate to ask if you need more details.
|Wheelys 4||4499 USD|
|Wheelys 3 Original||Sold out|
|Wheelys 3 Science Station||Sold out|
|Service kit for your Wheelys||200 USD Coming soon|
|Wheelys syphon||140.64 USD|
|Wheelys Samovar||Coming soon|
|The pour over Kit (3 cups a time + kettle)||Coming soon|
|Wheelys Espresso maker||Coming soon|
|Chemex* pour over for 5 cups||62.05 USD|
|Manual grinder||58.06 USD / 81.52 USD|
|Battery grinder||Coming soon|
|Foam maker* manual||Coming soon|
|Foam maker* batteries||Coming soon|
|Metal kettles||164.10 USD / 81.99 USD|
|Singular Drip over porcelain filter v60||Coming soon|
|Filters for Syphon||Coming soon|
|Filters for Chemex*||15.13 USD|
|Filters for singular pour over||7.62 USD|
|Extra burners for syphon||91.38 USD|
|Kit Glass containers for the science station||Coming soon|
For a full range of what the shop can offer take a look: https://shop.wheelyscafe.com/en/equipment/
LENGTH: 225 CM, WIDTH: 100 CM, HEIGHT: 110 CM – 199,5 CM
NET WEIGHT 100 kg (without any accessories). Shipping weight is about 250kg.
The Wheelys 3 is quite big. Wheelys is surprisingly easy to bike, but to lift it up… well this is something that requires 3-4 people. And once you loaded it, you need to secure it. What you can do is rent a truck with a tail gate and use straps to secure it. But we still advise that you bike to and from work. And if you need to move it longer distances, rent a truck.
But on the other hand this won’t be a problem. The café is super mobile and equipped with a electrical engine making it into something that is almost like a car!
The motor is operated via a sensor near the chain so that the pedal acts as the accelerator, so when you pedal the motor is activated, and the motor stops when you stop pedaling. You can control the speed between 6 bars with a remote on the handlebars, or you can switch back to normal pedaling.
We advise you to consider the solar power at this point as a support source. It will load the battery for sure, how much and how much battery you will need is hard for us to say. But the battery you will need to buy and install yourself, It should be sufficient for what you need, excluding if you connect a fridge.
make custom solutions. But we will try so please send us what you want and we
will get back telling you if it’s something we can do, or give you advice on how to fix the modification yourself. Most things inside of the Wheelys is moveable, so you can modify your Wheelys if you want to!
USA & EU: 700 USD
Rest of the world: 500-1000 USD (depending on location)
Right now, electrical bikes are not subject to anti-dumping, and therefore the duty to Europe (and most of the world) should be 6%.
The Wheelys Brand
The top 5 reasons for choosing Wheelys over going solo are:
- Wheelys provides you with strong branding and excellent networking.
- You will be part of a global network of coffee bikes which increases customer awareness and recognition.
- We will offer you continuous support, development, maintenance, spare parts, hints and tips, and global marketing.
- We support you with branded material, like cups and napkins.
- We support you with high-quality sellable goods, like chocolate, cookies and snacks.
Do you need help discussing your modifications? Ask in the community, or send a mail to email@example.com and we will give you our advice on the task :)
- An app handling your entire POS-system and orders. (Coming Spring 2016.)
- We answer any questions you might have, or try to direct you to the right person to talk to. All questions will be answered within 12 hours maximum. Usually it takes even less (1-2 hours).
- You will get help from some of the best advertisers in the world with ideas on how to reach out to new customers, and how to get your sales going.
- An easy editable web page for your Wheelys Café.
- Graphic material for your social media pages. Including easy editable templates as well as photos from other Wheelers all around the world.
- Wheelys is built around a network of enthusiastic Wheelers all around the world. Easily connected to a Wheelys community. Here you can open your heart in our discussion group; talk about a successful day and get new ideas or tell the others about your new amazing idea.
- Every year we invite all Wheelers to Stockholm to an event called “Big Wheel”. We will hold workshops in sales and barista training. This is as well, a great place to meet the other Wheelers.
- The world’s best coffee!
- Some of the best baristas in the world are sharing their best advice on how to make the perfect cup of joe. Available through videos and easy-read manuals.
Secret tips from the insiders:
The Wheelys App
The Wheelys app is available for iPhone and Android.
You are able to handle your entire sales system inside the app, ordering anything you need from the Wheelys HQ as well as keeping in touch with the other Wheelers around the world.
Once you open the app and turn on your availability, other people will see that you are out selling coffee. They will even see where you are located by the use of our small map. By clicking on your café – the customers will jump directly into your own café page – where you can make your daily offers available or, if you have any, your opening hours.
Through a simple registration process, your customers connect their credit card to the Wheelys payment system. As soon as this is done they are good to go and can start buying Wheelys coffee from you as easy as pressing a button, your customers can buy whatever they prefer from your items.
And you, the Wheeler, can easily modify the daily items inside the app to suit your daily servings or season.
Your customer is in a hurry to the next train? He or she will easily see how many minutes by walk or by car she has in order to reach your café. This way they can easily place an order five minutes before reaching you. And you can have the perfect cup of coffee prepared the minute they arrive.
Offers & Special Deals:
Choose your special deals or take part of Wheelys Global campaigns. Depending on the season, day of the week and time of the day, depending on if you have five muffins or if you are just in the mood for a spontaneous happy hour on coffee. This is a great way to keep your customers interested in following your page, and also a great way to give something back to those loyal customers of yours.
Points. Or as we call them: Beans! :)
By using the app your customers collect beans (it’s actually points but we call them Beans). This means that they can save up for a free cup or a discounts. There’s no real reason for everyone to not start collecting beans.
Talk to the other Wheelers. Get inspiration on rainy days or discuss your latest ideas with a like minded person.
Out of coffee? Ordering more from us is just a click away.
After using the app for 2-3 months it will also suggest you to buy more coffee beans before you’re out of them!
Social Media and Networking
Wheelys is built around a network of enthusiastic Wheelers all around the world. Easily connected to a Wheelys community. Here you can open your heart in our discussion group; talk about a successful day and get new ideas or tell the others about your new amazing idea.
About the Company
For sale inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
For support questions: email@example.com
Questions regarding your webpage: firstname.lastname@example.org
Master Rights Holder inquiries: email@example.com
Wheelys customers can access this under the My Wheelys page as well!
Most of these will be available in the form of video courses as well!